For many people with sleep apnea, having a CPAP machine is truly a lifesaver. What many people may not realize is that these machines need to be cleaned regularly, to ensure that they’re working properly and to make sure that you, the user, don’t get sick. At Copper Star Home Medical Supplies formerly Valley Medical Supplies, we have a range of products to make CPAP cleaning a breeze!
Why Should I Clean My CPAP Machine?
The CPAP machine delivers a constant stream of pressurized air into your lungs, allowing you to breathe easier in your sleep by keeping your airway open. When you exhale, germs and bacteria from your mouth, throat, and lungs can travel through the hose and into the machine. You may also transfer germs and bacteria from your face, through the face mask, and into the tubes. When you inhale, dust, mold, and other allergens in the air may be sucked through the hose and into your lungs.
This back-and-forth transfer can cause allergic reactions or other illnesses, which can make it harder for those who already have breathing problems.
How Often Should I Clean My CPAP Machine?
Each part of your CPAP has a different cleaning schedule. While you should always take care of urgent cleaning needs right away, here’s a general schedule to clean your machine.
- Wipe down mask cushion gently by hand
- Humidifier water tub, rinse out and hand dry
- Check mask cushion and pillows for wear and tear
- Check humidifier tub for worn spots and deterioration, cracks, and pits
Every three months
- Check air tubing for small holes and tears. These are found most often around the cuff. Replace damaged tubes
- Check the filter at the back for dust build-up. Filters should be replaced about every 6 months
- Check the mask headgear and chinstraps. If they have lost elasticity, they may need to be replaced, to ensure the correct fit
- Inspect the water tub and clean any powder deposits
Every two years have your CPAP, bilevel sleep machine, or APAP pressure checked by a qualified provider to ensure that you’re still getting the right pressure.
The Best CPAP Cleaning Products
We have the best CPAP cleaning products to make sure yours does its job! The Lumin CPAP Sanitizer uses advanced UV light technology to effortlessly clean and sanitizes your machine and its parts. Just a press of a button makes it much easier and safer than cleaning with soap and water. Or try the SoClean CPAP wipes for fast cleaning of your mask and headgear in the mornings. If you prefer to wash your CPAP parts by hand, the SoClean Neutralizing Pre-Wash is perfect to treat all parts safely before hand washing. When it’s time to replace a worn-out mask or damaged hoses, we have a great selection of those, too.
Get Yours Today!
Give us a call or visit us online to browse our selections of CPAP cleaning products and accessories. Plus, our friendly client care team is on hand to help you with any questions you might have. Breathe easy with a clean, sterile CPAP today!